Simonw's picture

Hear, Hear Anthony!

Magnus's picture
P.N wrote:
Dear all,

Flat for in Urgent in PDK 300$

Hi
In every post i read it is like this

Flat for rent in pdk,kckm,k7mkr,kdp,ktk,tbs bkk1,bkk2,bkk3...............

For someone not living in Cambodia i have no ide were the flat is.
And i'm looking for a flat... its hard
Street #/name is needed in the posts.

Simonw's picture

Khmer typically post there ads like that for fear that you might go and look at the rental all by yourself and they miss out on the commision. Hence the lack of location information.

The codes you see sangkat codes...help me out guys but i think these are some of them:

pdk, - ?
kckm, - Kanh Chamkarmon (south of independence Monument and Bkk1)
k7mkr- Kanh 7 Makara
kdp, Kanh Daun Penh (Immediately north of independence)
ktk, Kanh Toul Kok (woop woop)
tbs ?
bkk1 Boeung Kang Kong 1 (Immediately south of Sihanouk Blv and Kdp)
bkk2, AS above
bkk3 As above

BC
BC's picture

There's a very good map in the back of the Yellow Pages book that includes all of these abbreviations as well as the postcodes that apply for each Sangkat (yes, we have postcodes in Phnom Penh!!).

I'll try to get around to scanning it in for those who are not here and don't have access to the book. I can't find a copy of it online anywhere...

Meanwhile you should know the basics: a "Khan" is an area made up of various "Sangkats". So a sangkat name is locating the property more precisely and that's what real estate agents should be providing. For example, BKK1 = Sangkat Boeung Keng Kong 1. TBS = Sangkat Tonle Bassac (East of BKK1, adjacent to the Bassac River).

BC

BC
BC's picture

In the meanwhile you can browse all Khan and Sangkat names through the Phnom Penh Municipality website:
http://www.phnompenh.gov.kh/english/Districts/Districts.html

BC

Anthony Galloway's picture

the reason for this hoop jumping Simon is that many of the real estate agents are just posting blanket posting of houses and apartments that they don't really have on their books. Real estate agents, second hand car salesmen and insurance salesmen, in my opinion are all in the same basket.

The real estate agents here (as everywhere) just want to "get you in the door".
The house with the 3 large bedrooms for urgent rent does NOT exist, but now that i have you in my car how about looking at these other places i have.

many will take you to accommodation that is no where in any shape and form as to what you actually looking for.

If there is one real estate agent in this town who can figure out that if he / she posts "real places" on the forums, it will actually save everyone time. if I am looking for 4 bedrooms at USD XX per month then thats what i want to look at...not something that is 7 bedrooms and USD XXY per month..

If there is one agent in town that can work like this then please let me know. i would like to meet them

Simonw's picture

Agreed. The amount of time I have wasted riding in cars...
The most success I have ever had is getting on my bike and riding around myself looking at the area i want to live in and finding them myself.
On average it has proved more successful and cost effective.
For all those that just post on this site ' I want a house..' my advice is to get of your bum and start looking yourself, you'll get a better deal.

Anthony Galloway's picture
Simonw wrote:
Agreed. The amount of time I have wasted riding in cars...
The most success I have ever had is getting on my bike and riding around myself looking at the area i want to live in and finding them myself.
On average it has proved more successful and cost effective.
For all those that just post on this site ' I want a house..' my advice is to get of your bum and start looking yourself, you'll get a better deal.

this should be the 1st topic you check
Tips on looking for accommodation in Phnom Penh

affiliates

Whats on! See our help pages - add your own events

This location does not have any events. Why not add one here!

Forum