User login

For Sale: 2007 Bandit GSF1250S (Discounted)

1 reply [Last post]
Khmerized's picture

Time has come to say goodbye to my girl. She's been good to me and I'll miss her dearly.
I'm leaving Cambodia in August and would like to find a good owner beforehand.

Bandits in general
Bandits are awesome bikes. They don't excel at anything, but are pretty darn good at almost everything. In other words, you won't be able to cross the Cardamoms or win a drag race against a Ducati and it won't wake up your neighbors at 3AM like your average Harley. But it's a comfortable bike that can handle long trips, short commuting, it has enough torque to overcompensate for any manhood issues, its roaring sound is a chick-magnet, it can handle rain mud and dirt, and it's generally seen as an excellent value bike.

Some stats: 1255cc / 97 bhp / 79.6 ft-lb torque @ 6000 rpm

You can find more info and reviews here:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews...
http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2007-suzuki-bandit-1250s-road-te...

My Bandit
I purchased the bike last year, from Lucky! Lucky!. It was fresh out of a container with 15,000 kilometers and I am the first owner in Cambodia. I didn't bother getting a plate but I have the tax paper, so registering it is no problem.
After a month or so I decided to do full service, during which I replaced all three brake rotors, the chain and sprockets, various bearings, all the fluids, brake pads, clutch plate and springs, oil filter, air filter, and some other wear & tear items I forgot.
I've taken great care of this bike, changing the oil regularly, and even upgrading a few parts:

- Yoshimura TRS exhaust (sounds like a real bike now, without being obnoxious)
- Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (you can now ride for hours without any issues)
- Daytona Handlebars (slight tweak for better sitting position)

Recently, I've also had to replace the right passenger footrest (just snapped off, my gate is very narrow and I forgot to retract it) the fuel pump strainer (clogged and old), and it's even got a brand new radiator. All parts are original OEM Suzuki, directly ordered from the United States. The only workshops that have ever worked on it are TwoWheelsOnly (Tony) and Precision Motorcycles - No Khmer mechanic has ever touched this bike.

I also got a pair of new tires (Dunlop Qualifiers, will check the exact name and number) which are wonderfully sticky and still very good. I'd say 70% rear and 80% front. Very forgiving rubber, especially in the rain.
The bike has around 23,000 kilometers / 14,000 miles on the clock, which is very low for a bandit. Keep in mind, the large displacement engine has a low compression ratio and his therefore under-stressed, making it very reliable and virtually bulletproof. Bandits are known to easily go beyond 100,000 KMs without major issues.

Photographs

Bandit 1250 Suzuki Cambodia KTM Ducati

Sorry for the intsagramization, that's just my way of keeping a diary. Follow me at @smator for more.
If there is any part you'd like to see in detail, just ask and I'll snap a picture.

FAQ

Q: Who needs 1255cc in Cambodia?
A: Nobody. A $200 Chaly is all you need. But sometimes it's nice to have a little fun and enjoy that low-end torque the Bandit is famous for. As you can see in the pics, it will handle dirt, and roads are getting better anyway. Although it's a liter class bike, it was designed with acceleration and versatility in mind, not speed or style. You won't have to rev it like crazy to have fun, unlike those R1s and CBRs.

Q: Does it drink a lot?
A: Depends what you mean by a lot. I get around 17 kilometers per liter average. Can be better on highways or if you take it easy, and a lot worse if you ride like a maniac or if you're constantly in stop-and-go traffic. A full tank (20L) easily takes me to Sihanoukville via Kampot, with litres to spare.

Q: Is there a catch?
A: For the sake of honesty, I have to point out that the bike has been dropped. Nothing serious, but I bent the radiator and scratched an engine casing, but everything has been replaced with original Suzuki parts. The frame and engine are absolutely intact. The only thing you could nitpick is the paint: it has scratches here and there, the bike could use a repaint. But that's up to the buyer.
Also, the engine "pops" on heavy deceleration - I quite like it, and it's due to the PAIR line (oxygen being added to the exhaust to ignite whatever fumes may not have burned off completely, a feature that makes the bike environmentally friendly), but there are plenty of inexpensive kits available online that fix this.

A: This is a heavy bike, how does it handle Phnom Penh traffic?
Q: True, it's heavy, especially with a full tank. This can be quite intimidating at first, but you get used to it quickly. As soon as it is in motion, it's as nimble a Daelim, really. I've rarely been in a situation in which a smaller, lighter bike could have gotten me from A to B quicker, it's a matter of getting used to the bike, understanding local traffic, skill, and experience. I did not miss my XR250 at all. I'll gladly give pointers and tips to the buyer, or even a lesson if you're not used to large-displacement bikes. I strongly recommend being comfortable with a manual clutch however.

The Bottom Line
I'm asking for $4,000 USD, but am willing to do good discounts, especially if you let me keep the bike till early August. I can deliver it all over Cambodia if fuel and accommodation are paid.
The price includes some Fox riding gloves, an armor and a good helmet - nothing fancy but enough to make a difference. As an additional goodie, I'll also throw that 2-year old Garmin GPSMap 72 in - along with the handlebar mount and the excellent Aruna Cambodia Map. A perfect kit to explore Cambodia and Asia on two wheels.

Get in touch with me here, via SMS *only* (012 77 30 80) or email (mail [at] florianwardell [dot] com). Test rides are welcomed for serious buyers.

Forum Pictures: 
Khmerized's picture

Bump!

affiliates

Whats on! See our help pages - add your own events

This location does not have any events. Why not add one here!

Forum