User login

F/S: Custom 2001 Kawasaki Estrella 250cc (rat/cafe racer) $1650

3 replies [Last post]
nickc's picture

Awesome, obscenely fun little bike owned by someone who knows how to ride, run, and own bikes — and genuinely cares about them. Some sensible custom bits, most out of practicality, nothing outrageous. The most reliable bike I’ve ever owned and possibly the most fun. Averages ~150kms/week and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it to Kep or Kampot tomorrow. There are a lot of shitty bikes in this town, this is not one -- when s--t needs fixing I fix it.

- Sanded tank and side panels back to bare metal and clear-coated. Looks the balls, has a nice patina, budget $50 a year to re-do.
- Docked 2" off the tailpipe and removed the carbon filter/rod inside the muffler (adds a couple HP, sounds 1000% better - loud but not offensively so)
- Mummy wrap on the exhaust (I hate the stuff but it looks ok -- a lot better than what's underneath it!)
- Added GP500 carburettor casing (de-throttled, adds 2-3 HP and way better throttle response)
- Clubman-style handlebars (flat, wide bars that are a little harder on the arms and a lot more precise)
- Re-shaped and re-trimmed the seat (could do with a couple of stitches)
- Compact gauge (just a cheapie out of China, purely aesthetic, works well and looks good)
- Ditched the big clunky brakelight/indicator assembly. Replaced with single, round two-stage brakelight you can see from Siem Reap.
- Headlight bulb about twice the wattage of stock. Disabled the low-beam -- it's either off or offending other road users, just like it should be.
- Stripped every redundant component from the bike (mirrors, indicators, chrome trimming, etc.) This does of course make it completely illegal but I've had zero issues. I have all the original parts so it can be returned to stock if you're a pansy.

Coming from a 750cc it was a downsize, and one of the smartest moves I ever made — perfect bike for this city… This little thing weighs nothing, (135kgs or so), has decent-sized disc brakes front and rear (find that on an SR...) and is beautifully balanced; I’ve lost count how many times I’ve gotten into deep, deep shit, and somehow managed to recover it. Can’t promise you’ll do the same but you will be given a fighting chance!

$1650, firm. Full title/documentation. No plate (why bother?!) but can arrange for $100.

Yes, there are cheaper Estrellas (hit search and you'll find them for $1200) but you get what you pay for. I'm open to being proven wrong, but this is the best Estrella in Cambodia -- it's sure as hell the best looking -- and it's got another 20,000kms of trouble-free life in it. I paid $1500 (on the tax/title doc) and have spent the best part of a grand getting it right.

More photos: https://www.facebook​.com/media/set/?set=a.10152964421630821.1073741845.745145820&type=1&l=3068091c2

Forum Pictures: 
KiwiKev's picture

Lets see some normal pics please, cut the mood lighting and show it for what it is please Nick, second request for you to do this. You may even sell it when you do this. Kev

artocamera's picture

Yes i agree just some normal pics please.

artocamera's picture

Yes I agree, the right pics are better than an endless description although its a through one.

affiliates

Whats on! See our help pages - add your own events

This location does not have any events. Why not add one here!

Forum